Since 2012 the Welsh Government have been providing additional funds for schools to tackle national priorities for education.
The three national priorities are:
- Reducing the impact of poverty of pupil attainment.
- Raising standards in literacy.
- Raising standards in numeracy.
Each school in Wales is allocated a sum of money the ‘Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG)’ based on the number of pupils who are entitled to free school meals (FSM) or are Looked After Children (LAC). In 2014-15 Cefn Mawr County Primary School has been allocated £36,720.00.
The grant is to be utilised to overcome any additional barriers that learners from disadvantaged backgrounds face, which may prevent them from attaining as well as their peers.
Each school is required to draw up a plan and publish how this grant is utilised on sustainable interventions to improve the attainment of children who may be disadvantaged due to family financial circumstances or background.
At Cefn Mawr County Primary School our allocation in 2014-15 will be used to:
- Support a staff member to lead on family and community engagement e.g. delivering Language and Play sessions for new nursery pupils and parents.
- Sustain the implementation of a home/school reading programme to encourage parental engagement from an early age.
- Develop E-Safety processes and procedures to support our safeguarding policy.
- Support the development of resources to enhance the curriculum for Literacy and Numeracy.
- Sustain the use of a digital assessment tool to support the identification of vulnerable pupils thus enabling us to target specific intervention programmes to support learning.
- Sustain and extend provision for emotional literacy e.g. SAP and Circle Time groups.
- Increase IT provision.
At Cefn Mawr County Primary School we have high expectations for all our pupils and aim to ensure that the necessary support is focussed on the individual needs of each and every child.
All parents can be reassured that all children are treated fairly and equally at Cefn Mawr County Primary School and that all information in relation to the PDG is treated with discretion and confidentiality.